“An apple is an excellent thing- until you have tried a peach.” -George DuMaurier
Please don’t be offended by my quote, all you apple lovers… I DO love apples, but I also LOVE peaches! They’re soft, sweet, succulent, and satisfying. Peaches are truly ‘natures candy’ at its finest. While I’m excited for Fall and all the fun apple and pumpkin recipes popping up on Pinterest and everywhere else, I’m still holding on to those last few precious moments of summer… ripe, round peaches and all!
Peaches are most definitely a superfood. Did you know that a large peach has only around 70 calories and is loaded with vitamins and minerals? Peaches are particularly high in Vitamin A (which promotes good eye health) and Vitamin C (which prevents colds and sickness). Their high antioxident levels prevent against damaging free radicals in the body. They’re also loaded with nourishing minerals including; Potassium, Florid and Copper.
I love eating peaches fresh… but as the season of peaches comes to a close, I really like this transitional recipe that’s perfect for this ‘late summer/early autumn’ time of year! Cue- Peach Pie Oatmeal!
- 1/2 cup dry quick cook oats
- 1 and 1/4 cup water
- 1 peach
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tbls. raw almond butter
- Boil water
- Chop peach
- Add oats + 1/2 peach chunks to boiling water
- Reduce heat and let simmer for 5-8 minutes
- Stir in cinnamon
- Remove from heat and pour oats into your favorite bowl
- Add other 1/2 peach chunks and 1 tbls. raw almond butter to the oats
- (Optional additions- almond milk, raw honey and more cinnamon!)
* I use Organic Raw Almond butter from Essential Living! It’s amazing! SO delicious and the only ingredients are almonds, almond oil and sea salt! Such a win. Here is a link to their website if you’d like to check it out yourself- http://www.essentiallivingfoods.com/
Peach season is coming to a close… so end your summer on a sweet note and grab some peaches!