“The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases; his mercies never come to an end; they are new every morning; great is your faithfulness.” -Lamentations 3:22-23
I don’t know about you guys, but I LOVE a fresh start. Every morning is a new beginning… and since it also happens to be the beginning of September, we’re kind of jumping into a whole new year! September marks the end of summer and the beginning of a new school year. We abruptly (and sometimes reluctantly…sometimes enthusiastically) transition from lazy mornings and late nights to early morning classes, brown-bag lunches, cute new back-to-school outfits and organized agendas. Our strappy sandals and flip flops get traded in for ballet flats and fall booties. Our big beach bags get swapped out for back-to-school backpacks. September is in it’s own way A NEW BEGINNING!
So, today I’d like to encourage you to make the most of this fresh start! Here are just a few things to start doing (or keep doing) in honor of ‘Start Fresh September’-
1. Start with breakfast- I am a breakfast lover… honestly, I can’t tell you how many times I eat breakfast for breakfast AND for dinner. I just love a good brekkie any time of day. This fall when your schedule gets busy be sure you get up in time to begin your day with a balanced breakfast.
2. Pack your lunch- Skip those expensive, calorie-laden takeout meals and bring your own lunch to work or class. Be sure to pick up some cute reusable containers and an ice pack and whip yourself up a healthy, tasty little meal!
3. Stick to a schedule- Between classes, work, friends, papers, exams and the gym, life can get pretty hectic this time of year. Reduce stress by sticking to a schedule. Be sure to plan things out, meet deadlines, and keep organized.
4. Be more active- Whether it’s joining a gym or simply taking the stairs, little things really do add up. So be sure to get up and get out! I love a brisk walk and the opportunity to enjoy this beautiful time of year. Walking really is my favorite thing! A good walk does wonders for your body, mind, soul and spirit. I love to walk for the ‘extra exercise’, to clear my head, to reflect on life and to pray about things. So get up and go for a walk! Watch as the leaves change and enjoy this beautiful weather!
5. Enjoy fall superfoods- Pretty soon everything will be pumpkin and apple flavored. From the classic ‘Pumpkin Spice Latte’ to apple crisp, there are a lot of not-so-healthy treats that come out this time of year. My advice? Skip the processed junky foods and opt for the real deal! Pick up some pumpkin hummus (it’s delicious!!), blend pumpkin puree into your AM oats, or simply enjoy a fresh apple from the orchard. Enjoy the natural healthy treats that grow this time of year!
6. Buy a reusable water bottle- You guys know I’m all about healthy hydration! Grab a cute new water bottle and store it in your backpack. Or maybe it’s time to replace that old, well-used one! Whatever you do, remember to stay hydrated!
7. Schedule ‘relaxation time’- With such busy schedules, it can be hard to find a little alone time… all by yourself. But if you’re anything like me, you need that alone time to relax and recharge, and to be the best version of you! So plan to include a little alone time into your day. Whether it’s hitting up the local coffee shop, going shopping, or reading a new magazine, plan to enjoy a little time just-for-you.
How about you?! What are your favorite ways to start the season off right?!