A pantry full of quinoa and lentils?! -Of course!
A fridge stocked with fresh fruits and vibrant veggies?! -Definitely!
Eating healthy has become a lifestyle for me, something I’m truly passionate about. I eat to be the best I can be. I love the way ‘nourishing gnoshing’ keeps hunger at bay and gives me the energy I need to tackle the day! Sometimes people see eating healthy as boring, and I’m here to tell ya, it’s anything but! Eating healthy does not mean bland chicken, egg whites and tasteless veggies. If eating healthy makes you happy (which it does!) then eating healthy must be fun!
Healthy food is FUN! It’s fresh and filling, nutritious and delicious… So for today’s ‘Monday’s Motivation’ I want to encourage you to embrace HAPPY EATING! What do I mean by that?! Well, ‘happy eating’ is approaching each day as a new and exciting opportunity to nourish your body! The benefits of a healthy diet are seemingly endless, but you can’t force yourself to eat healthy for the rest of your life unless you truly enjoy it! Here are 5 simple ways to make your diet a little more happy, healthy and fun!
- Start with a tasty breakfast- I LOVE BREAKFAST! I’m not gonna lie, brekkie is my favorite meal of the day! From savory eggs to crunchy gluten free toast with creamy PB2 and sweet honey! Old fashioned oatmeal with some dried figs and a scoop of almond butter. Healthy Greek yogurt topped with nutty granola and sweet strawberries… So many options! Don’t just wolf down a ‘grab-n-go’ bar, try to sit down and enjoy a good meal! That’ll make you happy!
- Eat ‘Good Mood Foods’- Certain foods are better for your brain than others. In fact, the foods you eat can make or break your mood. Enjoy some awesome avocados, beautiful bananas, cheerful cherries, wonderful walnuts, and (my all-time fave) dark chocolate! Dark chocolate actually helps to create a feeling of well-being as soon as you eat it! Dark chocolate (the darker the better) improves cognitive function, releases endorphins, and boosts serotonin levels. Need I say more??
- Mix it up- If you eat the same food every single day, you’re bound to get bored. There are so many healthy options out there… be sure to mix up your diet with fresh herbs, seasonal spices and various fruits and veggies. Keep it colorful! A varied diet helps ensure you’re covering all your bases when it comes to nutritional requirements and it keeps your taste buds from falling asleep. “Variety is the spice of life”, right?
- Add veggies- Ordering a sammie and chips at lunch? Swap those chips out for some crunchy baby carrots and hummus instead. Seriously craving a hamburger?! Go for it! …just pair it with a side salad instead of fries. ‘Baby steps’ my friends! You’ll still get to enjoy your yummy sandwich or burger but you’ll be saving hundreds of calories, excess fat and sodium. Your body will thank you… your skin, your heart AND your waistline!
- Eat dessert!- My favorite thing about a healthy diet?! It doesn’t mean deprivation! Everyone who knows me knows I’m obsessed with ‘healthy eats’ and I regularly get asked if I “miss the good stuff” like desserts. People don’t realize that I still treat myself… everyday! Sure, it’s usually with super dark chocolate or a vegan health bar, but for me, that’s a treat! The healthier you get, the more your cravings change and you’ll soon realize that dark chocolate is SO much more satisfying than the milky stuff!
So, eat healthy AND eat happy. Focus on what you CAN enjoy and not what you CAN’T. Be thankful for all the healthy options out there. Go ahead… your body will thank you!
How about you? Is your diet a happy one?!