I really love fruit… okay, that’s putting it mildly. If I could only eat one type of food for the rest of my life, it would definitely be FRESH FRUIT. It’s just so sweet, so satisfying, and so delicious. Considering how much I love fruit, it makes me wonder… is it possible to eat TOO much of it?
Of course, too much of a good thing isn’t always a good thing, but I believe that if you have a healthy relationship with food, you really don’t need to restrict your fruit intake. You obviously don’t want to go crazy, but you should definitely eat enough to feel full and satisfied!
My Top 5 Reasons why I LOVE FRUIT (and why you should too)!
- It’s nature’s candy– Move over processed candy bars and artificial sweets! Fresh fruit is God’s way of providing us nourishing hydration with beautiful colors, interesting textures and delicious flavors. There are so many ways to enjoy fruit, too. Throw ripe strawberries into a blender to create a fresh smoothie, smear crushed raspberries on toast instead of jelly, or mash up some frozen bananas to make ‘nice cream!’ (So delicious!)
- It’s naturally gluten-free, soy-free, dairy-free, low salt, low fat, Paleo, vegan, etc.– If you follow a restricted diet like I do, or you simply want to nourish your body naturally without artificial anything, then FRUIT is the way to go! It meets the criteria for so many alternative lifestyles- making it perfect for you and your friends (even those with fewer options in your diets).
- It’s filling, but not fattening– Fruit is naturally low in calories. Did you know that a pint of blueberries has only about 160 calories? Or that a pound of strawberries has just 140? Or that 1/2 a medium sized cantaloupe only has 95 calories?? Talk about a bargain! Fruit is low in calories, but high in nutrition, filling fiber, and hydrating water. YES please, and thank you!
- It’s cleansing– While fruit does contain fructose, unlike processed sugary drinks and snacks, it also contains fiber. I’ve heard it said that “fructose is the poison and fiber is the cure”. So, while fruit does contain natural sugars, the fiber in fruit prevents your body from having the crazy blood sugar spikes you get from sweet artificial treats.
- It’s satisfying– Fruit is incredibly satiating. I LOVE a big bowl of fresh fruit. Last summer I actually ate 58 cantaloupes in 2 months! I’m not recommending this to anyone, but it is my little ‘claim to fame’. Fresh fruit makes me feel SO good. Once you start swapping out less healthy snacks for a yummy portion of fruit, you’ll feel fresh, satisfied, and energized! Do yourself a ‘flavor favor’ and go grab some fresh fruit!
How about you? Do you love nature’s candy as much as I do?