“An early-morning walk is a blessing for the whole day.” -Henry David Thoreau
Ok, I realize that if you are reading this post, you are most likely sitting down. Well, let me interrupt this comfortable moment in your day and encourage you to get up, get out, and take a quick walk! We all know how important it is to get those bones and muscles moving, but it’s also easy to sit back and think to yourself, “Ehhh, I’ll do it later!”
Let me give you FIVE FUN REASONS TO GO FOR A WALK:
1. Walking protects your heart – …and your blood pressure, joints, muscles, bones and balance. Walking reduces your risk of diabetes, stroke, and even some cancers. Of course, exercise can’t cure everything, but if walking may help, I’m in!
2. Walking reduces stress – It calms your mind, enhances your mood, and improves your self-esteem. Walking outside is particularly helpful because you can connect with nature and appreciate the beauty of creation.
3. Walking boosts your immune system – It helps your immune system combat germs. It provides your body with ‘feel good chemicals’ which help you sleep better and help fight infection. More walks = less colds!
4. Walking lowers your blood sugar – Getting up and walking after a meal actually prevents a rise in blood sugar as much as medicines designed to do the same thing. I don’t know about you, but I’d choose walking over medications any day!
5. Walking improves your looks – It helps you lose weight by increasing muscle mass and tone. The more muscle you have, the faster your metabolism – so the more calories you burn, even at rest. It strengthens and shapes your legs and if you pay attention to your posture while you’re walking, you can even tone your abs and whittle your waist. Win-win-win!
So, lace up those sneakers, throw on some comfy sandals, or go barefoot on the beach… Whatever you do, WALK!