Did you know that there are actually lots of health benefits to having a dog? Yup, that’s right! Dogs really are “man’s best friend.” Here are some reasons to give your dog an extra treat today. And if you don’t have your own dog, I’m sure you know of someone who does!
- Dogs keep you active. This is kind of obvious, but it’s very true! Knowing that your dog is depending on you for his afternoon walk will motivate you to get up off the couch. Looking into those sweet ‘puppy-dog’ eyes will, at the least, guilt you into walking him. And that afternoon walk is so good for BOTH of you!
- Dogs help promote a healthy social life. Everybody loves to say ‘hi’ to a friendly pup when you’re out for a walk. Dogs always provide an interesting topic for conversation and they promote interaction with others. Do you have a child struggling to make friends? The responsibility of caring for a family pet can help boost confidence and help him connect with other children. Even senior citizens enjoy interacting with other dog-owners!
- They promote a positive outlook. Did you know that pet owners are actually less likely to suffer from depression than those who don’t have a cute canine of their own? Yep, that’s right. That’s because going out and playing with your dog increases the release of dopamine and serotonin within the body which helps to promote a ‘happy’ mindset! Besides, they love you unconditionally… and the wag of their tail always makes you smile.
- They promote better health. Studies have shown that owning a dog can lower blood pressure. In fact, just petting a dog can lower your heart rate! Research shows that children who live with dogs from an early age appear to be more resistant to allergies and less likely to get asthma and eczema. And that extra walk everyday certainly helps with your overall fitness level!
- Dogs keep you safe. Dogs really are man’s best friends! The provide companionship and protection and they are loyal to the death! They’ll do whatever it takes to protect you from an intruder. A big dog can be more ferocious to a ‘bad guy’ than a little dog, but the yappity-yap-yap of a little dog can certainly scare one off pretty fast!
How about you? Do you love dogs? Do you have any pets?