Come on, get HAPPY! We all want happiness, right? Of course. But how do we get it? Where do we find it? Sure, there are plenty of self-help books out there with lots of suggestions (true confession- I love self-help books) but I have my own ideas about how to be truly happy in this life. I believe that happiness is more about giving than getting. It’s more about appreciating than expecting. Below are my top 5 tips to being happy!!
- Be thankful. Yes, we’ve all heard it, “count your blessings”… old news, right? Ehhh, not so fast! This may be a simple, old fashioned tip, but trust me– it’s a game changer. So much of life is determined by the thoughts in our heads and the way we choose to look at our own circumstances. An attitude of gratitude really DOES change things. Being thankful helps us focus on the good in life. And that means we focus less on the bad.
- EXPRESS gratitude. It’s one thing to feel thankful, but it’s another thing to express it. There’s power in words. So, next time your best friend goes out of his way to do something kind for you, or someone lets you merge on the highway, or your co-worker holds the door open, or you’re simply in a good mood– express that gratitude! Write a ‘thank you note’. Text some kind words. Tell your friend (or your mom) how much you appreciate her, and thank God for how He’s blessed you!
- Pour out love. If I had to give just one helpful tip to anyone ever, it’d be this one- pour out love. I’m all about self-love and taking care of yourself, but if you really want to feel love, give it away! Freely, frequently, unconditionally, to everyone you meet, to everyone you know… give love and I promise you’ll receive it. Invest in friendships, show kindness, share your snacks, call your parents, be a blessing. Love is a crazy thing- the more you give, the more you get.
- Live in community. Life isn’t meant to be lived alone!! Last week at church we talked about the importance of ‘living in community’. That means sharing meals and special occasions, laughing and crying together, and having people you can count on. Sometimes when I get busy and stressed I isolate myself because I’m tired and worn out. But that’s not the answer! This past weekend, my bestie from RI came to visit me and it was SO much fun! I love connecting with people. Whether you’re an extrovert or an introvert, relationships are an essential part of a happy life!!
- Be present. Life.is.short. It really is! Last year I realized life was slowly passing by and I wasn’t really paying attention to it. So, for my New Year’s resolution I decided to really be “present”, to appreciate each day and each moment… even the hard ones, the sad ones, the really draining ones. I let myself feel them all. (Yeah, I’m quite emotional.) I find it incredibly freeing to really feel things, even when they’re hard. And then I remind myself of God’s truth (my rock). I thank Him, that despite my ups & downs, He never changes. I find rest in His word, peace in my prayers, and joy from His spirit within me. Now that’s true happiness!
What are your keys to happiness?!