Well, it's official... I'm gluten free again!  In one of my most recent 'Sweet Nothings' posts I explained how I decided to add gluten BACK into my diet after following a strict gluten free diet for over a year.  Determined to eat it and feel fine, I experimented with it for about 6 weeks.  At first I was excited to be able to eat absolutely ANYTHING I wanted... I felt so free!!  And while that was a major 'pro' for me, it just wasn't worth how bad I began to feel.  Here are my 4 reasons for going back to a gluten free diet.

1.  Fatigue.  Since I started eating gluten again, I've been SO tired.  At first, I attributed it to the fact that I was so busy with my waitressing job ... but the more time went on, the more I began to realize it was a lot more than that.  One day I was walking into town with some of my friends (who work just as much as me) and they were able to keep a steady pace ahead of me.  Instead of asking them to slow down or trying to catch up, I just found a bench and sat down.  I know, right?  I just felt like I couldn't keep going.  At work, my friends give me a hard time because I go to bed early and I have a hard time getting up... and yet I am still so tired.  For the first time in my life, I began drinking coffee before each shift, just to give me enough energy to do my job.  Last summer I had the same job as I do this year, and my energy levels were SO much higher (back when I was gluten free).

2.  Anxiety.  Honestly, I'm a pretty 'carefree' person and if something bothers me, I pray about it, give it over to God, and HE takes the worry away from me.  But since I went back to gluten, I've actually experienced 'anxiety' over lots of different things.  Seriously, it's not like I feel 'guilty' for eating gluten, it just feels like my whole mood/demeanor is different.  My close friends have noticed that I seem 'weighed down' and burdened.  And I feel completely different than I did a few months ago.  It's this weird feeling that I can't really seem to explain, but I talked to 4 different girls who have been gluten free for a long time and they ALL said the same thing, that eating gluten gives them a stressed, anxious feeling as well.

3.  Mood.  The whole reason I started this blog was because I was so happy and positive, in large part because of the foods I was eating.  I wanted to share the principle that "eating healthy makes you happy" with others!  I find that being 'happy' takes more work and effort now than when I was g.free.  So I did some research on a gluten free diet and many reputable sources have found a correlation between a gluten free diet and curing depression.  After these 6 weeks I can honestly tell you, being gluten free makes me SO much happier!!

4.  Digestion.  ...I know, right?  Not everyone's fave topic, but to keep it short and sweet let's just say, gluten and my digestive system are NOT friends.  My tummy definitely prefers g.free!

Well, that's me!  I was gluten free for over a year and while these past 6 weeks of experimenting with it again have been rough, I'm glad I tried it so that now I know full well that gluten free is the way to go for me... it's a lifestyle that keeps me happy and healthy!  The afternoon when I finally 'put-the-pieces-together' on why I've been feeling so 'bad' lately, was the day I decided to cut gluten from my diet 100% like I did last year... it's just not worth it for me.  Don't worry, I'm not about to fall back into a restrictive mindset... #foodfreedom will live on!!  ...but this time, it'll be #glutenfreefoodfreedom!!  So yes, I'll take a salad for lunch AND a piece of chocolate for dessert... Hey, it's all about balance right?

Have you ever tried a gluten free diet?  Have you gone back?  Do certain foods make you feel 'junky?'

Comments

Welcome back to the club! I agree with all your points, gluten just makes me feel depressed and sluggish!

08/06/2014 7:06am

Thanks Danielle! ...it's good to be back :)

I loved this post Cailee! And, I'm glad you figured out what was making you so tired. My favorite part though is that you hand your troubles over to God. :-) I do that too. It works every time!

08/06/2014 7:07am

Thanks Kristi! ...and it really does! He is just so good!

08/04/2014 11:07am

This post just proves that you really just have to listen to your body and do what works for you. We are all different and sometimes it takes a bit of experimenting to find our groove.

08/06/2014 7:09am

Agreed!! I used to think that I could come up with the perfect, one-size-fits-all diet plan that would work for everyone... but the more I study health and learn from my own experiences the more I realize just how personal and unique our 'diets' really are!

08/04/2014 12:11pm

I'm glad you are listening to your body and doing what works best for your health!

08/06/2014 7:07am

Thanks Stacie! It really is a learning experience!

08/04/2014 12:24pm

I've never eaten gluten free but my brother has Crohn's disease and he went gluten free last year and he has never had such a good year as far as digestion as he has in his entire life. So there must be something to it!

08/06/2014 7:10am

Yes!! We really are so unique in our own dietary needs... so glad that you brother found something that is working!!

Hope you are feeling better already Cailee! We did notice in the past that refined sugar and white flour made us more tiered and sluggish but did nothing about. So when little over 2 months ago a family member was diagnosed with Diabetes we hopped on the "Healthy Bandwagon" and could not be happier :)

08/06/2014 7:11am

Good for you guys!! It's important to find the balance between healthy and happy! ...so glad that you have found it!

08/04/2014 3:07pm

I bet it feels great to know exactly why you weren't feeling all that awesome. Stinks you have to give up gluten, but at least you know how to stay healthy and positive!

08/06/2014 7:13am

Thank you! It is so good to know... because here's the thing... I LOVE gluten! I love brownies and bread and cookie dough ice cream... but when I realize how awful they make me feel...it's just NOT worth it! ...plus it's exciting that they are coming out with such great gluten free alternatives!

Jack B.
08/04/2014 5:44pm

It seems to me like you have this deep connection with gluten. There is definitely something there. I guess sometimes, you have to realize that in the long run, it wouldn't work out, even though gluten is a good thing for a lot of people! It is just not for you, which is totally great, and a life apart from gluten is most likely going to be the best thing for you! I would say don't ever rule out the possibility of eating gluten again, but I would also say that it seems unlikely that you will ever really want to eat gluten long term. You should be able to eat what you want and enjoy it... it's not fair for you or for the food to do otherwise. Follow your stomach, and go where it leads! I hope you are learning important life lessons from gluten! :)

08/06/2014 7:15am

Thanks Jack! It's always a pleasure reading your comments! ...gluten is great for some people, but at this point isn't right for me... who knows what the future holds though! Hope that you are doing well!

Karen P.
08/04/2014 5:46pm

I guess, as they say, it is better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all. At least you got some time with gluten...

08/06/2014 7:16am

Haha, true. And while I was eating gluten I ate 2 of the most delicious brownies I have ever tasted. I'd go as far as to say they were the BEST food I've ever eaten!

08/04/2014 6:52pm

I hear that from everyone that goes gluten-free -- that they feel so much better! I haven't done it, but I do limit foods with gluten because I know it can only help! That's great you tried it again, and now you know for sure. Best of luck with that healthy eating, Cailee!

08/06/2014 7:18am

Thanks Marcie! I am really glad that I tried having it again so that now I know for sure that I can't go back!... better to know than just assume!

This is one of the most honest posts I've ever read Cailee! It is SO SO important to pay attention to what your body is trying to say! No I am really starting to wonder if gluten is at all good for the body! So happy to know that you are doing what is good for your health and happiness! :)

08/06/2014 7:19am

Thanks Samina! I'm so glad that I know just how bad it makes me feel! It's just not worth it! :) I'd rather be gluten-free and happy than 'gluten-y' and sad any day!

08/05/2014 5:18am

Loved this post, Cailee. I'm so glad you figured out what was making you so tired by listening to your body. I was feeling that way a few months ago and started trying to cut out more gluten and have been feeling so much better. You are doing great and good luck with staying on track, it's tough giving up things you crave for.

08/06/2014 7:21am

Thank you!! and you're right, it is tough! But the day I realized that gluten was causing my anxiety/ low mood I decided to cut it out that night! ...it's just not worth it for me!

08/05/2014 9:18am

Cailee, I think it is great that you are in tune with your body enough to know what is right for you. Not only that but you are willing to make changes. I wish you the best and hope you start feeling like yourself again soon :D

08/06/2014 7:27am

Thanks Cindy! I am so glad I tried going back to gluten... even though it made me feel awful! I've been g.free for a little over 2 weeks now and I am really looking forward to feeling like 'myself' again!! Thanks :)

08/05/2014 10:34am

I've never gone completely gluten-free, but I try to restrict how much gluten I eat because it doesn't seem particularly healthy.
Glad you're feeling better off of gluten thought :)

08/06/2014 7:28am

Thanks Joyti!! Yeah, it's amazing how it affects me! Glad that you are at least giving it a little try! Hope you are feeling great!

08/05/2014 11:45am

So glad to hear you are doing what's best for you! You need to be happy and healthy in your body. That's crazy how adding gluten back into your diet had that kind of effect on you. I would definitely be going back to gluten if that happened to me!

08/06/2014 7:29am

Right?! It's so crazy!! It just goes to show how different and unique all of our bodies are... it's super important that we each do what's best for ourselves!

08/05/2014 4:48pm

I am so glad you realized that gluten still doesn't work for you. It's awesome that you tried it again, but I'm sorry it didn't sit well :(

08/06/2014 7:30am

Thanks Liz! yeah, I'm sad it didn't sit well with me... but I'm glad I tried it so now I know for sure!!

08/06/2014 10:13am

Good for you for listening to your body and acknowledging that gluten just doesn't work well for you. I went gluten free for a bit early this year and didn't notice any difference... but to each his/her own! Gluten free is clearly what works best for you!

08/09/2014 8:33am

I've never actually tried going gluten free, but I've definitely been considering it, as I can get terribly fatigued after eating certain foods that contain gluten. Good on you for doing what works best for your body! :)

08/09/2014 1:04pm

Have you ever had any allergy test for gluten intolerance? I think I digest gluten pretty well. I guess I don't need to go gluten free, right?