Do you ever make plans to hangout by yourself?

Here's the thing about me.  I LOVE people.  I could (and do) talk to just about anyone.  Remember that rule "Don't talk to strangers?"   Well, I must have missed that one.  Just ask my mom and she'll tell ya, every time we go out I seem to make new "friends."  Whether we're at the grocery store with the cashier, at the mall with  the makeup lady, at Target with another customer, or just holding the door for a stranger, I LOVE people!

Working as a waitress, I do the same thing... I TALK!  I hope to someday be a motivational speaker.  I want to spend time talking to others about what they eat and how to be healthy.  Ask my friends and they'll tell you just how 'social' I am.  But here's the thing... sometimes it's nice to be... ALONE.

I NEED to be alone.  As much as I value time with people, I also value time alone, all by myself.  It's when I'm all by myself that I can think, dream, read, write and reflect.  I love to be with people because I want to impact people.  I want to show them my joy so that I can point them to Jesus Christ.  I want to invest in the lives of others, enjoy their friendship, learn from them and help them reach their full potential.  But I can't do that ALL the time.  I have begun to realize how important it is to spend time alone.

Luke 5:16 says, "“Jesus often withdrew to lonely places and prayed.”

I can't be my best around people if I haven't spent time alone.  Whether it's in my morning 'quiet time' reading the Bible, or simply resting in the afternoon... being alone gives me the energy and desire to be with people again.  My new favorite way to 'get away' is to head to this little cafe about a half mile from where I work.  I enjoy the walk, the fresh air, and God's beautiful creation along the way.  I think about the day, my friends, my responsibilities... and I am thankful.  There's great internet connection so I bring my laptop, pop in my headphones, order some tasty food and I 'blog!'  I look forward to this time alone as much as I enjoy hanging out with my friends.

You guys know I'm all about 'balance' when it comes to eating, but I'm also all about 'balance' when it comes to other areas of life!  Time with people needs to be balanced with time alone!

What about you?  Are you a people person?  Do you enjoy time alone?  ...or are you like me, and you need both?!

Comments

I feel ya! I love people, but I have to have my "me" time as well.

08/04/2014 8:27am

Right?! It's all about balance!

07/29/2014 2:23am

I need to spend some time alone. I really need lots of time with myself only. Not sure why. However when I'm alone for too long my desire for socialization grows... I can enjoy time with friends but I don't need to be surrounded by people. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I sincerely like reading your posts.

08/04/2014 8:29am

Thanks Daniela! :) And I agree! It's great to be with people... but I just NEED me time too!

I'm totally like you in this way! I love being social, but then I also like being alone and doing fun things on my own. I use the phrase "dating myself" all the time and think it's the best way to develop a healthy self love relationship :)

08/04/2014 8:30am

Agreed!! I'm at this stage in life of figuring out "who I am"... and being alone gives me time to think/ dream and reflect!

07/30/2014 12:58pm

I always used to hate spending time alone and the thought of eating or having a coffee by myself was terrifying. But now, I love it. Just a little time out by myself is great.

08/04/2014 8:31am

Right?! I've always had a bit of an introverted side that's enjoyed being alone, but then at college I was always with people and started to miss that alone time!

07/30/2014 1:26pm

I'm like you - I need both! While I love being out and about with people, I truly cherish quiet time, too. Especially now that I have a baby, the quiet time to myself is even more precious. In fact, she's taking a mega nap now, so after a busy morning out and about with friends + doing errands, I've been loving the quiet few hours to myself. =)

08/04/2014 8:33am

That is so sweet! I love the balance that you are finding! Good for you girl!

When I became a mother, I really started to cherish alone time. There's so little of it. And I really need it to clear my mind.
You would make a great motivational speaker! :)

08/04/2014 8:32am

Aww! Thanks so much Christin! You are very encouraging! :)

07/31/2014 9:35am

I love being alone but I get quite chatty when I know someone!

08/04/2014 8:34am

TRUE! It's funny, because it's very easy for me to talk to people and try to connect with new people... but at the same time I NEED to be alone sometimes! I think we all do!

07/31/2014 4:28pm

I need a date with myself. I would love to spend it by taking a long hot bubble bath, have some wine and watch the shows I want. :)

08/04/2014 8:37am

A date with yourself is possibly the best thing ever!! You should def do it soon!

08/01/2014 11:19am

To be a motivational speaker would be awesome. There can never be enough good people spreading the word about how easy healthy eating can be.
I too love to talk to everyone. Just glance at me and we'll be chatting it up :D Even so, alone time is so important. I need to do that more often.

08/04/2014 8:36am

Thanks Cindy!! Hopefully I'll be one one day! And yeah, I can be pretty chatty too! Gotta find that happy medium!

Love reading your post.. :)
I usually have a date with myself atleast once a week.. I love my alone time... :D

08/04/2014 8:35am

Thank you for your kind words!! Glad that you get to spend time alone!

I'm definitely like you - I'm a people person but definitely need my alone time!

08/06/2014 7:31am

Agreed!! It's all about balance!

09/03/2014 10:22am

Looove this post :) I love socializing and spending time with my friends & family.. but sometimes I need a little space to think & unwind. I am usually the most creative & thoughtful when I spend time with myself. I like to take myself on "dates" to coffee shops and book stores. There's just something special about those places :)