In peace I will lie down and sleep, for you alone, LORD, make me dwell in safety. (Psalm 4:8)

Ohhhh, the joy of sleep!   We all do it, we all need it... and let's be real, we all enjoy it!  Who doesn't love to wake up in the morning feeling refreshed and ready to take on the day?

The problem is... for so many of us, that just doesn't happen... at least not regularly.  Instead of waking up feeling refreshed and ready, we moan and groan and hit the snooze button until we absolutely MUST get out of bed.

There's a reason Starbucks is so packed in the AM.  Most of of us can't get moving without a hit of caffeine.  We all live busy, hectic lives and unfortunately, sleep seems to get pushed to the bottom of our to-do lists after all the "more important" things get done.  Maybe it's a paper you pushed off 'til last minute, or some laundry, or maybe you can't decide what to wear the next day!  Maybe you just can't put down your phone or your ipad or you just want to relax and watch a few minutes of TV!

Sleep seems to be of little importance in our modern society.  But actually, sleep is one of the most important and necessary gifts you can give yourself!  Did you know that sleep increases your lifespan?  And it actually improves the overall quality of your life.  Studies have shown that sleep helps to improve your memory which leads to increased creativity.  Whether you're learning a new language or how to play piano, you'll do better after a good night's sleep.  You'll probably be in a better mood, too.  Just think about how cranky a little child gets when it's past his bedtime!  Nobody likes being around someone who is exhausted.  And sleep deprivation over time actually puts you at risk for depression.

Sleep helps to decrease inflammation which can help prevent heart disease.  Sleep helps to reduce stress.  In terms of eating right and weight loss, sleep is your new BFF!  Sleep actually helps you eat less overall and helps you feel more energized for the day.  Think about it, if you're running on only 5 hours of sleep, your morning workout is likely NOT going to happen.  BUT, if you turn in early and wake up from a refreshing 8 hours of sleep, 6 AM doesn't seem so torturous, after all.

Sleep may be something that is often overlooked, but in my opinion... it couldn't be more important!!  (I think I feel a nap coming on...)

How about you? Do you get enough sleep?  Are you sleep deprived?!

Comments

06/26/2014 10:46am

I don't sleep as good as I can, so my doctor has been helping me with and it's been such a big improvement! My #1 sleeping personal tip is cool blankets. I can sleep so much better when I'm a little chilly!

06/27/2014 2:48am

Wow!! Great tip!! Yeah, I used to struggle with sleep REALLY bad this past year at college... by God's grace I'm finally able to sleep a LOT better than before. I think consistency really helps me. Make sure to eat regular meals and not over-snacking helps a lot!

06/26/2014 11:05am

The older I get the more and more I appreciate sleep! I feel so so much better when I get a good night of sleep - makes all the difference! In an ideal world I'd always get 8 hours but 7 hours makes me feel awesome too!

06/27/2014 3:09am

It's so true!! Sleep really does affect the rest of your day! Glad to hear you are sleeping well :)

06/26/2014 1:00pm

I try to get enough sleep, but more often than not I stay up and watch Bones or Castle with my sister until midnight and wake up at 6:30 for a run. Oops.

06/27/2014 7:30am

Haha...understandable! At least you can still get up for your run!

06/26/2014 2:00pm

Sleep is one thing I'm not the best at haha. I've always been more of a morning person, but I usually end up waking up several times during the night regardless of what time I go to bed. The one thing I've noticed that really helps is weightlifting! When my body is tired from a good workout, I sleep like a baby :)

06/27/2014 7:31am

Good to know!! I've def had a LOT of trouble with sleep in the past... thankfully, I'm in a pretty good routine now... but if I do need some 'help' I'll def have to give weight training a try!!

06/26/2014 6:18pm

I am SO guilty of having a sleeping problem. I can't be going to bed late and waking up late because it throws off my entire day - just today I forced myself to bed early and I woke up early. It was a hard change but worth it!

06/27/2014 7:35am

Good for you! It's just great when I can actually fall asleep... I used to toss and turn so much. But sometimes you gotta be disciplined and listen to your body! Seems like you're doing a great job Jess!

06/26/2014 6:33pm

I haven't had a good night sleep in a few nights now. :(

06/27/2014 7:40am

Aww I'm sorry Kathy :( ...hopefully tonight will be a good night!

06/27/2014 5:27am

Sleep is definitely overlooked! I often times don't get enough sleep during the week, and then depend on the weekends to help catch me up. Not such a great idea though...I definitely need to get into better habits!

06/27/2014 7:41am

Sounds like you're off to a good start! Once you realize you want to prioritize sleep... then you can start making decisions and forming habits that fall inline with that goal!

I love sleep! It's my favorite. If I don't get close to 8 hours, then I don't function well...

07/01/2014 11:52am

Agreed! Sleep is amazing and vastly underrated!

06/27/2014 11:08am

I have gone through stages in my lie of not sleeping enough and sleeping too much, but I seem to have found a balance now and aim to get around 7 hours a night, which seems to work really well for me.

07/01/2014 11:53am

Nice!! As a former insomniac, it feels amazing to be able to get into a good routine!!

06/27/2014 11:12am

This is a great reminder to prioritise one of the most important things we can - sleep! It is so important but so easy to sacrifice :P

07/01/2014 11:55am

I know!! We think, "well I'll just sleep in tomorrow or make up for lost sleep later..." but I always seem to function best when I turn in around 10 and wake up around 6 or 7! (Ideally!)

06/27/2014 1:08pm

100% agree! Sleep is so important and I can absolutely tell the difference when I don't get enough.

07/01/2014 11:56am

Right?! I hear ya on that!!

Consuelo - Honey & Figs
06/27/2014 2:11pm

I couldn't agree more! Nothing better than a siesta to feel happier!

07/01/2014 11:57am

Haha!! Sleep is so important! I'm really not a nap person... I can't take them unless I'm EXHAUSTED and in desperate need of sleep. I function best if I get more sleep at night, but my friends at college LOVE naps!!

06/28/2014 4:17am

Good call on sleep. I'll admit I still haven't made it the hugest priority. Often I find myself reading blogs or articles online until shortly before bed. It's a bad habit.
After some really bad nights lately waking up 'groggy' in the morning - and no, I didn't drink, haha - I noticed another key for me: closed curtains. Actually, I've been known not to be able to sleep well with either open curtains or a closed window. So a dark room and fresh air it is for me. Meaning the window is opened behind the closed curtains. My curtains somehow broke (??) so I wasn't able to let them down again and I slept awfully in consequence. It's odd to think such a little thing will have a huge impact.

07/01/2014 11:59am

It's true though! Sleeping in a moderately chilled room is best! And in terms of darkness, I hear ya!! I used to sleep with a face mask every night! I don't do it as much anymore... but I did happen to use it last night!

06/28/2014 9:23pm

LOVE ME SOME SLEEP! I try to go to bed by 11 pm every night - and I get up anywhere between 5 & 7 am. The earlier I get up, the more energy I have in the AM to work out - it's weird but awesomely true! :)

07/01/2014 12:00pm

That's great GIGI!! And yeah... I am guilty of staying out or up a little past that as of late... but I def function best if I'm off to bed by like 10 or 11.

06/30/2014 2:37am

I love my sleep! Anything less than 8 just won't do ;) I'm a really light sleeper though, and having a snoring fiance means I'm not getting much of a rest these days. Argh! Haha.

07/01/2014 12:02pm

Ugh! Snoring is so tough! I'm luck that none of my roomies snore! And more than 8 hours is best for sure!

06/30/2014 1:07pm

I feel like sleep is very underrated too, but I definitely NEED my sleep! If I don't get a good 8 to 9 hours of sleep each night, I start dragging. On days that I don't have work, I'm usually in bed by 8, which sounds lame, but I wake up every morning by 5:30 without fail so I need to go to bed early if I'm going to get enough sleep!

07/01/2014 12:03pm

That's not lame! It's listening to your body!! And that's what's important! :)

In January, I made a new years resolution to get a stable sleep schedule as I had been sleeping/waking at different times each day which isn't ideal for the body. I wanted to wake up earlier and keep a consistent bed/wake time everyday! Since then I have been going to bed at about 10:30 and waking up at 8:00-8:30 (Minus the occasional nights out/sleepovers). However, since I'm on summer break now, my sleep has been lacking quite a bit due to to many summer nights out....oh well its vacation time for a reason haha! I'll get back into it when school gets here again!

07/01/2014 12:04pm

Yeah! That makes sense. And good for you for getting into a routine! That's so important... when you find yourself in a good routine it's easier to fall asleep and wake up at those times because your body is so used to it!

07/01/2014 10:39am

Sleep is so wonderful---a healing balm for most all ailments, in my belief =)

07/01/2014 12:05pm

You are so right!! Sleep and laughter... two of the best medicines!!