Hey guys! How are you doing?  I know that I usually talk a lot about the importance of eating healthy to maintain your body weight, health, and happiness.  But today I want to encourage you to eat a healthy, balanced diet for other reasons.  Eating healthy not only makes you happy, it also provides the strength and energy to help you exercise.  A regular workout routine is really aided by a proper, regimented eating routine.

I am not a runner.  I don't play tennis.  I rarely actually ride a bike and I don't know very much about sports!  Clearly, I don't workout as much as I should.  But I think that adding a workout routine to my lifestyle for the new year will not only make me stronger, but it will also help me to feel 'better' in so many different ways!  The benefits of exercising on a regular basis are seemingly endless.  Regular exercise reduces stress, promotes a healthy weight and keeps you energized.  It combats disease, helps you sleep better, and improves your memory.  It gives you confidence and strength and boosts your endorphins (ie. the 'feel good' chemicals within your body).

Lately, I've begun to workout a bit more here at school.  One of my friends, Ryan (my 'trainer') has helped me to realize that a healthy lifestyle includes much more than just eating right.  A healthy lifestyle consists of proper nutrition AND regular workouts.  He helped me learn to lift weights and to work on toning, rather than just your typical cardio.  Now, I'm not knocking cardio, but a healthy lifestyle includes weight training too!

Did you know that according to Active.com<http://Active.com>, strength training promotes healthy, strong bones,  reduces overall body fat, strengthens your tissues, muscles and tendons AND promotes a general better quality of life.

I don't know about you, but those sound like some pretty great benefits!  Not only that, but you don't have to spend every day in the gym to see and feel results... they can be achieved simply by working out on a regular basis.  Start slowly since you don't want to get hurt.  Begin by working out for just 20 minutes 2 days a week, then 'up it' to 3 days (and maybe a few more minutes.)  You'll find yourself getting into a habit... the more you do your workouts, the more you'll WANT to do them.

Plus *added bonus* you'll feel yourself getting stronger and more toned.  I don't know about you, but that sounds like motivation enough for me to keep going!!

How about you?  Do you like to lift weight?  Have I motivated you to give it a try??  Any favorite workouts?

Comments

02/08/2014 4:34pm

I go to Body Pump, run, use weight machines, and do yoga. For me, eating healthily is harder!

02/11/2014 4:19pm

Wow!! Good for you Liz!! Sounds like you are staying really active!

02/08/2014 7:59pm

I'm trying to get motivated to train for a 5k. I know that's not that long of a run, but it's SUPER long for someone like me....Hopefully soon!

02/11/2014 4:21pm

ME too!! Haha... I'm no runner so I always think it's super crazy when someone is like, "yeah I only did a mild workout today, just 7 miles..." Props to them... but I could not do that! Props to you on getting started though... that's the hardest part!!

02/09/2014 4:55pm

Runner 4 life!

02/11/2014 4:21pm

Sweet!!

02/10/2014 2:43am

I love weight lifting! I enjoy it so much more than any type of cardio. It's such a great feeling being strong enough to lift a weight you struggled with just a month or so before :)

02/11/2014 4:22pm

That is such a great prospective Louise!! YAY progress!

You are TOTALLY 100% right!! I get frustrated by 2 types of people:
1) Those who think that because they eat pretty well they are totally healthy
2) Those who work out, and then eat whatever they want, whenever they want, and however much they want.

Sure, exercising does allow you to increase your caloric intake, but not by an extra 1000 calories a day! It's all about balance and being in control!

I personally struggle with weight lifting. I love running (am heading out soon!) and yoga, but weights were just never my thing. My trainer has me on a nice routine, but I find myself not enjoying it. I know I've got to keep it up to get into better shape, I just wish I liked it better! :)

02/11/2014 4:23pm

Well props to you on running and yoga!! You can get a great workout using your own body weight with yoga! Gotta love that! And great point Gretchen... a healthy lifestyle includes eating well and exercise!

02/11/2014 7:22am

I wouldn't say that I have a favorite workout - I just enjoy working out in general :) I enjoy lifting weights, running, the elliptical, hiking - just being active!! I totally agree that it's important to eat healthy for your workouts. I've noticed if I eat too much fat before a workout it's bad news! (specifically peanut butter = ouch!)

02/11/2014 4:26pm

Oh good advice for a pre-workout snack... I'll be sure to remember not to eat much fat right before hand! And good for you girl!! That is so impressive :)

02/11/2014 2:06pm

I find the eating healthy part more difficult than working out (which I do love!), but once you get the hang of it, it all gets easier and enjoyable! And very much needed ;--) x

02/11/2014 4:25pm

I'm the exact opposite!! Haha... I find that eating healthy is so much easier for me than actually working out regularly... I need to remember to do both!! And you're right!! It will get easier!

02/17/2014 2:30pm

that salad looks super healthy!