Hey everyone!! Happy Wednesday!! I hope that you're all having a wonderful week!! It is soooo cold, so hopefully you've found some way to stay warm!  Being in college means I can't cuddle up in front of the fireplace with a creamy cup of hot chocolate.  But I DO love to throw on my favorite pair of yoga pants and a soft sweatshirt, crank up the heat in my dorm room, and sip on a steaming hot cup of Cozy chamomile tea!  Anyway, here is the next installment of 'What I Ate Wednesday'!
This is definitely one of my 'go-to' breakfasts.  I eat the orange in my first period class, the granola bars in my second period class, and the carrots right before lunch.  This keeps me satisfied, and because I'm eating alI morning, it feels like I am eating a ton!
For lunch I had a lightly dressed garden salad with sunflower seeds, a sweet potato, and a small piece of lemon pepper fish.  I also snacked on another orange (love that vitamin C).
After classes I usually have a pre-dinner snack and then take a nap.  It's a nice little routine that I thoroughly enjoy!  Today I had some chicken and rice soup that my friend picked up for me because I've got a cold.  Did you know that a can of Progresso soup only has 100 calories?  It's hard to believe because it is so filling and satisfying!  I also snacked on some frozen mango to sooth my sore throat.  When you let it defrost for about 15 minutes, it has the BEST consistency!  It literally glides down your throat!   I ended up going back for a half a cup more because it was so good!!
Okay, so my dinner is a little strange... but I tried to make it as balanced as possible.  I love love LOVE cereal... but at my school there aren't many gluten free options.  In fact, there are only 2.  So I usually have a small scoop of Rice Chex and Cocoa Puffs with a big splash of organic soy milk!  I love this combo!  In fact I have it all the time.  But I know that my body needs a bit more protein and some veggies.  So when I do have cereal for supper, I like to pair it with a side of turkey from the deli bar and a few cucumbers, carrots and tomatoes with a drizzle of dressing and sunflower seeds.  I also grabbed an orange to enjoy with my dinner... can you tell that they're my favorite fruit??
At night I ate my usual bed-time snack.  This time I decided to dive back into my extra large bag of frozen mango because it felt amazing on my throat (and because it is delicious) and a package of Nature Valley Crunchy Oats 'n Dark Chocolate bars.  I love these bars!  They taste like dessert, but give you 16 grams of whole grains while satisfying your little "I need chocolate!" craving.  I'll take that!
If you know me, you know how much I love my sweets!  Lately I've been satisfying my sweet tooth with tootsie pops!  I've always loved them but I kind of forgot about them.  Well, recently my friend gave me a bag and I was hooked again!  Today I ate 3 of them... not all at once... I snacked on them at random times throughout the day.  Sure, they're not super nutritious... but I'm all about balance!!

What about you?  What did you eat this Wednesday?!  Any favorite foods I should try?

Comments

01/29/2014 12:56pm

I love cereal too! Haha, I could live off the stuff if I could. I remember before I changed my diet a few years back, I'd sometimes have cereal for breakfast and lunch! Those were the days ;) Also, you can't beat being cozied up inside when it's this cold!

01/29/2014 4:14pm

Haha...sometimes I have it at lunch and dinner!! Oh well... I believe that "healthy" is a mindset more than just what you eat. I've been too strict in the past and I try to never go back to that... because when I get too strict with my diet I inevitably end up pigging out. Rather I try to eat what I want in moderation everyday... some days it will be healthier than others... haha!

01/29/2014 12:56pm

Oh, how I love the idea of splitting up the breakfast. I love snacking and always eat a little at a time. So eating 3 tiny breakfasts sounds amazing!

01/29/2014 4:16pm

Thanks! I love it!! :)

01/29/2014 6:16pm

I haven't had a tootsie pop in so long! My favorite was always the blue wrapper :)

01/31/2014 2:21pm

ME too!! So good :)

01/29/2014 10:24pm

I love that cereal bar!!! Nature Valley is a win for me all over. And don't worry, my dinner can be some sorts of combinations some times! Haha

01/31/2014 2:22pm

Haha!! I love random dinners!! :) And Nature Valley Bars!! YUM

01/30/2014 12:23pm

I love having cereal or granola for dinner too hehe. The lemon fish you had for lunch sounds nice and healthy and snack bars are awesome when I'm on the go too:)

01/31/2014 2:23pm

Thanks Kelly!! The fish was delicious and the bars are so convenient!

01/30/2014 7:08pm

Yum, You have so many delicious fruits & veggies in what you eat- and you vary it up so much- I'm jealous! Also, quick question, are nature valley bars gluten free? My dietitian has me avoiding gluten to see if it bothers my stomach and I didn't think they were so I haven't been eating them.

01/31/2014 2:27pm

Thanks Emily! To answer your question... I never eat gluten... but I also know what I can and can't handle. I am actually really sensitive to gluten, but I eat some bars like Nature Valley and LUNA which aren't certified G.FREE, because they contain no gluten... I'm not Celiac, but I am gluten intolerant... so maybe you should avoid them just to be sure! Your call!! Hope that helps!

02/02/2014 8:26am

Thank you Cailee. That was really helpful!! Through trial and error I believe I have a mild gluten sensitivity. I will try adding Luna and Nature Valley bars back into my diet and see if they cause issues or not. What kind of bread do you eat?

02/02/2014 8:38am

Oh I'm so glad I could help! And honestly I don't really eat gluten free bread... I used to love love LOVE bread... but then I went gluten free and for a while I was trying to do without any substitutes... I just don't really like the texture of most gluten free bread... so I usually have crackers, g.free cereal, a sweet potato or a grain-based granola bar if I want some carbs... but I have had some pretty good gluten free brown rice bread by Ezekiel brand and in my school caf we have Udi's gluten free bread which is actually pretty good toasted!!

01/31/2014 1:23am

Our diets look alike ;--) I too eat lots of oranges and mangoes. Aren't they the perfect snack??
And those totsie pops are one of my guilty pleasures as well ;--)

01/31/2014 2:28pm

They are so yummy!! I love tootsies and fruit!! (Balance :))

01/31/2014 7:56am

Mango is a treat around here and I love it when we get it. I hope your throat is feeling better! That granola bar looks amazing!

01/31/2014 2:28pm

Thanks Mary Frances!! I am actually feeling a lot better!! :)

02/09/2014 7:29am

It's so nosy but I love to see what people eat during the day. Its the anthropological side of my brain I guess ;)

I'm obsessed with frozen mangos! I love them in my yogurt or in smoothies. Or just to munch on… :) And I'm glad I'm not the only one who likes cereal throughout the day! I like it in the evening if I need a snack after dinner! The cocoa puffs make you feel like you're getting that chocolate fix…which is usually what I want. Glad you stopped by our blog! Nice to meet you!

Hey, It is very nice and informative website. Keep writing the great work, Nice to see your site.