Picture
BEFORE
Picture
AFTER
Hey everyone!!  How are you?!  Today I want to discuss something that is absolutely 100% crucial to weight loss, weight maintenance, and health in general.  Today I want to talk about Motivation.  Sure, you can have have the perfect diet plan, a dedicated trainer, and a kitchen full of whole foods, but unless you have the mental motivation to keep going... your health plan is going to fail.

I know it sounds harsh, but I'm just speaking from experience.  I lost 35 lbs and I'm not going to say it was all smooth sailing, but as you get into a routine it gets much easier.  Habits are hard to break... and that applies to good habits just as much as bad ones.  I came up with 5 tips to keep yourself motivated--even when you're not really 'feeling it.'

1. Keep a motivation photo or board.  This is NOT to say that you should post unrealistic 'thinspiration' pictures on your refrigerator door, but it IS a tool to keep yourself motivated to be the best version of YOU!.  Maybe you gained a few pounds and want to get back to your 'happy weight' again.  Post a picture of yourself at your healthiest and happiest!  You can put it wherever you will see it... your desktop, kitchen cabinet, message board, or even in your journal.  If you're looking to tone up a bit, then find a reasonable picture of a fit and healthy person from the internet or a health magazine!  Whenever I need some motivation, I look back to some of my pictures from this summer when I was my healthiest and most active!

2. Think about how good you feel when you eat right.  Sometimes I overdo it and I eat too many sweets.  I never feel good about it... I always feel full and a little gross.  And that doesn't make me want to eat more of the 'bad stuff', it inspires me to eat better!  Instead of getting upset at yourself the next time you eat too much junk, simply use it as a tool to get you back on track.  Remember how much better you feel when you eat right "...because eating healthy makes you happy!"

3. Don't be too strict.  Seriously, this is probably one of the most important tips I can give you.  I know it may be tempting to cut sugar out of your diet or swear off your favorite salty snacks in a brave attempt to be your healthiest and slimmest.  While I do believe that the average American eats WAY too many processed foods and far too little fresh produce, being too strict with your diet will almost always backfire.  Trust me... I know!  Sure, I can go a little while without eating chocolate, but I know, as soon as I indulge again, I want to OVERindulge!  Why not just enjoy it in moderation instead of depriving yourself until you feel SO deprived that you go a little crazy?

4. Write down your goals.  To quote Jillian Michaels, "If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."  While this may sound a bit extreme, there's definitely some truth to it.  Determine what your goal is and write it down.  Maybe you want to lose 10 lbs to get to a healthier weight, maybe you plan to run a 5K in the spring, maybe you just want to look and feel your very best... whatever your goal may be, write it down along with a realistic plan to follow through.

5. Start your day off right.  While this may be a bit more specific than the other tips, when you start your day off right, you WANT to make smarter choices.  If you've been eating too much junk lately, start with breakfast.  Make sure that each day you have a nourishing meal to fuel your motivation for the rest of the day.  Some great options?  A fresh green smoothie with a side of raw nuts, a veggie omelet with low fat feta cheese, a bowl of stovetop oatmeal with fresh strawberries, greek yogurt with a banana and honey.  If you're on-the-go in the morning, opt for a fruit and nut nutrition bar with an apple.  Seriously, if you start your day off right you'll be ready to face the rest of it and make wise choices!

How about you?  How do you stay motivated?  What are your tips and tricks?

Comments

01/26/2014 1:06pm

These are such good tips! I especially like #1-I think it's unhealthy and unmotivating to look at pictures of super thin models, but a healthier version of you is always attainable!

01/26/2014 6:10pm

This is so true! Being healthy and happy is the goal... not starving and feeling sick:(

01/26/2014 2:09pm

Losing weight is never easy, but your story and tips are inspirational! Have a wonderful week, Cailee! :)

01/26/2014 6:11pm

Thanks Marcie!! I am so glad that you are inspired! I hope that you have a great week as well!

01/26/2014 2:29pm

These are awesome tips!

01/26/2014 6:11pm

Thanks Liz!

01/26/2014 7:34pm

Wow! You are so inspirational girl! Losing 35 pound is not easy! Especially the keeping it off part! Great job!

01/29/2014 1:39pm

Thanks so much Renee!! You are so encouraging! :)

01/27/2014 4:21am

Awesome tips Cailee Joy! I too lost about 15-17 kg two years ago and I must recognize it's hard to stay on track without motivation AND chocolate hehehe. Loved the post!

01/29/2014 1:40pm

Thanks Consuelo!! And props to you girl!! That is great!!

01/27/2014 6:59am

#1 is the most abused, I think. We as women think staring at anorexic bodies is healthy and motivating and it is sad! These are actually good-for-your-body tips and I really appreciate you sharing them!

01/29/2014 1:40pm

Thanks so much Mary Frances!! So glad that you liked them!

Love these tips for staying motivated! It seems I lose motivation more easily as I get older.

01/29/2014 1:41pm

Thanks Christin!! Stay motivated!

Great tips! I really agree on the none about not being too strict. Being too strict doesn't do anything good to your health - physical as well as mental. You might up having disordered thoughts about food.

01/29/2014 4:02pm

Yeah, this is so true... I truly love the idea of all things in moderation!!

01/27/2014 9:51am

Congratulations with the weight loss! These are great tips - but don't overdo it and be happy with what you eat! There are plenty of lovely healthy ingredients and ways to feed your body and your mind! The most important thing is to stay healthy, eat healthy and be happy!

01/29/2014 4:03pm

This is so true!! I am lucky I've changed my taste buds to like healthy foods I guess haha!!

01/27/2014 1:01pm

Great tips! Starting the day off on the right foot always helps me stay on track all day. And I definitely agree about not being too strict - a little dessert or sweet everyday helps me not overindulge or go overboard in general - which is so important!

01/29/2014 4:05pm

Agreed! It doesn't have to be anything too much... just a little bit to satisfy!

01/27/2014 2:29pm

These are such great and inspiring tips and congratulations, you are doing such an amazing job - keep it up girl :) Hope you have a wonderful week Cailee!

01/29/2014 4:07pm

Thanks Kelly!! I hope that you have a great week too!!

01/28/2014 1:40pm

These are some great tips. I really need to rediscover my motivation for workouts and healthy eating. I REALLY fell away during December and have had quite a difficult time getting back on track this month. My mentality has been, "Well, looks like you messed up today so you may as well keep eating the rest of this and start fresh tomorrow." I need to be more present in the moment and remember my reasons for living a healthy lifestyle. You are also totally right about how sugar makes you feel awful after you overindulge. I wish I could bottle that feeling and remember it whenever I was approaching a jar of peanut butter. EEK

01/29/2014 4:11pm

So true... I like to remember how good something sweet tastes when I eat it in a small amount that way I fully enjoy it. I NEVER wish I over ate... but I love 'moderation' because why should I eat 10 pieces of chocolate when I can eat 2 today, 2 tomorrow and so on! Little bits are truly more satisfying!