Picture
"Breakfast is the most important meal of the day."

How many times have you heard that?  Probably 1,000.  But as busy college students who sometimes stay up later than we should, it's all too easy to 'forget' about breakfast.  It's not that we don't  want it, its just that when given the opportunity to get a few extra minutes of sleep in the morning, we often skip that most important meal of the day!   We actually jump right into another crazy busy morning without any 'fuel' to get us started and keep us going!  We find ourselves grabbing something between classes or stuffing ourselves at lunch.  Or if we actually DO make it to the cafeteria in time, we end up grabbing a donut, muffin, or cream cheese coated bagel!

I want to talk about the importance of having a BALANCED breakfast.  This means it should include protein, healthy carbohydrates and a bit of fat to keep you satisfied.

If I can make it to the cafeteria with enough time to spare, I have a variety of healthy options.  But some mornings I'm just not feeling it.  That doesn't mean I can't enjoy a quick, balanced breakfast back in the dorm, or even during my first period class.

Here are some simple, quick, balanced breakfast ideas that you can fix in a hurry, but will give you both energy and tummy love:

• A fresh green smoothie (any recipe from my blog works!) and a small package of a nut based trail mix
  • Gluten free rice bread spread with almond butter and an apple
  • Plain instant oatmeal (try Bob's Red Mill certified Gluten Free) with a chopped apple or a banana or with dried fruit and raw nuts
  • Flax crackers with peanut butter and a banana
  • Plain greek yogurt with fresh fruit and granola

These are just a few of my favorites.  How about you?  What are your favorite
'balanced breakfasts on the go'?

Comments

10/15/2013 7:02pm

So glad I found your blog! One of my breakfast go-to's is a pumpkin muffin (Weight Watchers) and it is amazing! Unfortunately, my household (since I am a teen) does have a lot of not-quite-clean foods, but I am managing to eat fairly healthily
Seriously though, we have a ton in common. Christian, health and fitness obsessed, loving fruits and veggies, etc. :D Can't wait to read more of your blog!

10/15/2013 7:33pm

Thanks girly! It's so encouraging to hear that you like it!! And your blog is great as well!! Seriously, if you have any questions about eating right, finding balance, convincing your family to eat a bit healthier or even your personal walk with Christ, feel free to ask me on the blog or email me! I would love to chat :) And good for you on eating healthy as a teen! Very impressive!

10/15/2013 8:52pm

I was going to post about breakfast next week...Good minds think alike! Anyways the breakfast I've been loving lately is an eggwhite egg sandwich on an whole wheat English muffin. And when I'm getting fancy I have turkey sausage on it. It sounds harder then it is, it only takes about 5 minutes in the morning and I just eat it on the way to work.

Since I workout in the morning before work I have to eat or else I'm starving come like 9:30!

10/15/2013 9:59pm

Yum... that sounds delicious! I love eggs for breakfast if I have the time because they are so filling and satisfying!

10/15/2013 9:21pm

I use to do rice cake cereal for breakfast that was my favorite; I am now just an oatmeal girl or boil eggs and a banana.

10/15/2013 10:01pm

I used to love rice chex with soy milk! I ate that a lot throughout the summer time... very refreshing! I also would add in chopped apple chunks and raisins or chopped banana and dried cranberries! So tasty!

Great post! With 2 kids the mornings are crazy busy, but I always make sure to eat breakfast! Coffee, there's always coffee! And then 9.9 out of 10 times I'll have a VitaTop + pb...although there was 1 time last week that I had a whole wheat waffle + pb + a couple of semi-sweet chocolate chips...it was delish! I do really want to get on the green smoothie train!!!
-Sammy @ www.peaceandloveandicecream.com

10/15/2013 10:04pm

Yum!! Chocolate chips and pb... what an amazing combo! And I've never tried VitaTop's or VitaMuffins... but I would love to! Sadly I don't think they're gluten free :(

10/15/2013 9:59pm

My favorite breakfasts are definitely paleo pancakes with almond butter on top or greek yogurt mixed with pb2, blueberries and granola. Yuuuum!

10/15/2013 10:02pm

No way!! I have been wanting to try PB2 w. yogurt!!! Is it good??

10/16/2013 5:30am

I was definitely bad about skipping breakfasts in college and/or grabbing something unhealthy because it was quick and convenient. It's hard to remember now (I'm getting old, yikes!), but I think it was lots of bagels. Now I turn into a monster if I don't get breakfast. I love your yogurt suggestion because it's so portable and takes zero time, but they are all great!

10/16/2013 9:39am

Yeah, I love a bit of Greek yogurt, honey, fruit and granola! Just ate some for breakfast today :)

10/16/2013 7:02am

I'm currently doing a breakfast challenge where for all of October I eat something different every day for breakfast and it is forcing me to expand my go to breakfasts. I love my smoothies, yoghurt bowls, overnight oats, oatmeal, fruit and of course eggs! :)

10/16/2013 9:40am

What a neat idea!! That is a great idea to keep your options varied so you don't get bored!

10/16/2013 9:33am

I LOVE green smoothies, might be my favorite go to quick breakfast!!

10/16/2013 9:42am

Yes! So cleansing!

10/16/2013 10:45am

For mornings I know are going to be rough I will throw in some overnight oats the night before so I have a quick breakfast to just grab out of the fridge and eat quick. If not, smoothies are the way to go.

10/16/2013 4:37pm

Ooh! Overnight oats? I have heard about those, but haven't tried them yet! I'll have to make them sometime!

Thanks for letting me find your blog, Cailee! My favorite breakfast is choc/pb oatmeal with a big hot latte:) It keeps me full all morning. I agree, breakfast is super important! Following you now and can't wait to read more!

10/16/2013 4:32pm

Thanks girl! So glad you like it! And PB chocolate oatmeal is my fave! Love it with bananas too :)

10/16/2013 2:36pm

I am a sucker for anything that is portable and easy. My co-workers joke that I have a pantry in my desk because I keep loaves of bread, honey, almond butter and fruit in there for breakfast. But it forces me to eat!

10/16/2013 4:42pm

Haha! That is so cute! And smart :)

10/16/2013 4:09pm

yes, i love this post - breakfast is totally the best meal of the day! i always have wholewheat cereal flakes with lots of raisins & dried bananas & apple, and almond milk :) i actually think i could eat it for breakfast, lunch & dinner!

10/16/2013 4:33pm

Yum!! That sounds amazing! I love cereal with dried and fresh fruits :) healthy and tasty!

Karen Stiland
10/16/2013 4:34pm

Hi Cailee! I love your blog. Your breakfasts all sound yummy! I am going to make a point of trying some. I will let you know my favorites! Continued fun and success with the blog!!

10/16/2013 4:49pm

Thank you!! Breakfast is the most important meal of the day :) Hope you guys are doing well!

Cheryl
10/16/2013 5:53pm

Hey Karen, good to see you stopping by this blog. She has some great ideas! I love the oatmeal...I smother mine with chopped up apples, walnuts, and raisins. See ya soon!

10/16/2013 7:11pm

Yum!! The more toppings the better!

10/16/2013 9:02pm

Overnight oats are my go-to when I'm on the run. I also love Udi's GF toast with almond butter and banana :)

10/16/2013 9:28pm

Ooh! I love Udi's! :) It actually tastes like "real" bread!!

Yes - breakfast is the most important meal of the day!
I usually have some sort of oat bars or overnight oats or regular oats - yes, I do have a slight addiction to oats :)
Glad to have stumbled by your space!

10/17/2013 8:46am

Thanks! Glad to hear it... your blog is great btw! And oats? That's a great choice!

10/17/2013 9:05am

I love oatmeal but lately my go-to breakfast is gluten-free toast and earth balance. My stomach can't handle much food early in the morning so I have that with coffee and then bring a Zing bar as a mid-morning snack to hold me over until I can eat lunch! Great ideas! Oh and egg and cheese sandwiches (though not vegan) are one of my all-time favorite breakfasts!

10/17/2013 3:16pm

Me too, I usually have a small breakfast and then a mid morning snack... and gluten free toast is quite tasty! :)

10/17/2013 3:21pm

Breakfast is an important meal of the day! These are nice examples of breakfast - love the idea of having raw flax crackers with peanut butter & banana, and of course a fresh green smoothie! I miss my juicer so much, it's still sitting at home in Oregon while I have no juicer here in Buenos Aires.

10/17/2013 11:03pm

Aww! I'm sorry, but I'm sure Buenos Aires is amazing!! Even w.out juice! :)

10/17/2013 5:00pm

A smoothie, oatmeal or toast with peanut butter are my breakfasts of choice! All are in heavy heavy rotation at our house. Every once in a while I'll make eggs but that really only happens on the weekends : )

10/17/2013 11:02pm

That's great! I love smoothies in the summer and oatmeal in the fall! I feel that breakfast can be seasonal! After all smoothies are so refreshing, but they chill down your body temp. Whereas oatmeal and hot tea warm it up!